How Much Does Electric Tankless Water Heater Installation Cost?
Posted on: November 8, 2017 | by: Will Housh
Tankless water heaters are a popular option for homeowners looking to increase efficiency and cut utility costs. Electric tankless water heaters are easily installed and are affordable for households with varying budgets. Learn how much electric tankless water heater installation costs and the advantages of using one in your home.
Electric Tankless Water Heater Cost
Tankless water heaters typically cost more than conventional tank style water heaters. Electric tankless water heaters cost less than gas models. Electric tankless water heater installation costs $1,000 or more, depending on the unit selected and the needs of the application.
Factors that affect the cost of electric tankless water heater installation include:
- Installation of necessary wiring or electrical upgrades to facilitate the water heater.
- Capacity of water heater needed to serve the home.
- Tax credits or utility incentives offered for installing qualifying energy efficient electric tankless water heaters.
Gas Versus Electric Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless water heaters are available powered by either gas or electricity. Both offer efficiency and savings versus tank water heater models, and electric tankless water heaters offer homeowners a few additional distinctive advantages.
- Electric tankless water heaters are priced lower than gas models, making purchase more affordable for many.
- Electric tankless water heaters do not generate greenhouse gases, unlike gas models, making them more environmentally friendly.
- Installing an electric tankless water heater is simpler, as no venting is required – gas tankless water heaters require proper ventilation for safety.
- Electric tankless water heaters need only simple maintenance to keep them performing optimally.
- Tankless water heaters can fit in applications where space is restricted, and offer an average service life of approximately 20 years – a conventional tank water heater lasts about eight to ten years.
Electric Tankless Water Heater Maintenance
Electric tankless water heaters require different maintenance than conventional tank water heaters, as they operate differently. Maintenance performed by a licensed plumber works to maintain the efficiency of your equipment and keep it operating properly. Maintenance is performed to remove mineral scale from the water heater – when scale builds up, the unit’s burners must work at a higher temperature to heat water correctly, expending more energy. The frequency of maintenance needed depends on the hardness of a home’s water.
Find an Electric Tankless Water Heater Installer on HVAC.com
Did you know many HVAC pros also provide skilled plumbing services? Find a licensed contractor in your area to install electric tankless water heaters and provide maintenance or repairs for your existing unit. Search HVAC.com’s Contractor Directory to identify Certified Contractors who provide the quality installation work you need paired with superior customer service.