4 Indicators of a dirty filter
How can you tell when your air filter needs to be changed? There are several telltale signs that are easy to find and will indicate if it is time for your filter to be replaced. Many filters have manufacturer recommendations for how often a filter should be replaced; however, it is wise to be aware of indicators that suggest otherwise.
- Current filter is visibly gray with dust and dirt buildup
- This is the easiest way to tell – if the filter appears dirty – it likely is!
- Moderate to excessive dust buildup in your home
- Your furnace or air conditioning system runs for long periods of time
- Smoking and/or owning pets will cause your filter to build up with debris quicker and should be a signal to you to check your filter before the manufacturers recommended change date