Choosing the Right Air Conditioning System for You!
As the weather begins to get warmer and the sun shines longer, we know that summer is on its way! With summer comes hot days, and hot days bring the need to turn on the air conditioning. Many of us will find that we need a new system this summer. But what system do we need? We will give you a few tips to help point you in the right direction this summer.
1. Brands & Manufacturers- When it comes to choosing an air conditioning system, we realize that there are many brands. Some of the more common brands include Lennox, Trane, Rheem, Carrier, Bryant, and Goodman. However, within those brands, there are only a few manufacturers (For instance, American Standard and Trane have the same manufacturer, as does Carrier and Bryant). While these brand names are important, the most important choice you can make is the contractor that will install your air conditioning system. With our network of trusted professionals, you will be sure to find a reliable contractor who will install your system at the best value for you: www.hvac.com/local-contractors
2. SEER- This abbreviation stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. This provides a measure of the efficiency of an air conditioning unit. In general, the higher the SEER rating, the more efficient the system. The minimum SEER rating that is available for purchase is 13, which was implemented in 2006. An added benefit of a higher SEER system is a lower energy bill for you and more money in your pocket (or to spend on a summer vacation!). SEER is an important number to consider, as it will end up determining how much your energy bills will be for the cooling season. For more information regarding SEER ratings, check out our article on SEER ratings in the HVAC.com resource center . Your installing contractor will be able to determine with rating is best for you based on your cooling needs. If you do not have a trusted contractor, check out www.hvac.com/local-contractors, answer a few questions, and we will find someone who can meet your HVAC needs.
3. Warranty- You want to make sure your system lasts for many years. It is important to understand what the warranty for your system covers. Some warranties cover only parts, some cover both parts and labor, and others cover other specific items. Many systems come with anywhere between 5-10 year parts and compressor warranties. These include such parts as compressor, fan motor, and other important parts of the furnace. Many systems have heat exchanger warranties that have either a 20 year or lifetime limited warranty on them. Your installing contractor should be able to assist you with any questions you may have and will also be able to determine the system with the warranty that is right for you.
4. Capacity-The capacity of a system will vary based on the tonnage. A ton of cooling is defined as 12,000 BTU (British Thermal Unit)/hour. A BTU is a unit of energy. The higher the BTU rating of a system, the greater the capacity. It is important to not have a system that is too large as it will use more energy than is necessary, which can result in higher utility bills. On the flip side, the air conditioner should not be so small that it does not provide adequate cooling.
5. Cost- We understand that you want the most value for your dollar. An air conditioning system can be an expensive investment. A higher efficiency unit usually costs more upfront, but it generally pays for itself over time in energy bill savings. You will need to decide if it is better for you to save money upfront with a cheaper, lower-efficiency unit which will have higher energy bills or if you should buy a more expensive unit and save more in the long run.
Armed with these tips, you will be ready to make the right decision for your air conditioning needs. Combined with the help of HVAC.com and our network of certified heating and air conditioning professionals , you can be sure that you will get the best value for your new air conditioning system. Check us out today and get in touch with the contractor who will provide the best value for your needs!