Furnace Tips for Savings and Comfort
- Operate your thermostat consistently. Recommended settings are 68 – 72 degrees during the daytime and 64-68 degrees during the night or at times when the house is empty for more than 5 hours. Digital setback thermostats can do this automatically for you. We highly recommend them.
- Keep windows and doors shut. Some people like fresh air, but it does cost money to heat and can also add to uncomfortable drafts.
- Airflow to rooms can be controlled to a certain extent by closing off some registers with the built-in louvers. Be cautious when closing off too many, because it can lead to high operating temperatures within the furnace.
- Don’t block off any intake louvers or grills that provide air to the furnace or duct system. Doing so can adversely affect the operation and safety of your furnace.
- Be sure to keep the air filter clean. Once-a-month replacement is recommended for everyone with 1″ disposable filters – but may not be necessary for everybody. Pets, children, etc. can all contribute to dust and dirt thus requiring more frequent maintenance.
- Have your furnace tuned, cleaned and inspected by a qualified technician once a year. This will help keep your furnace efficient and safe. Find a local contractor in your area.