How to Clean a Portable Humidifier
For your humidifier to function properly and provide you with the right amount of moisture for your room, it needs to be maintained properly. Portable humidifiers especially need to be cleaned on a regular basis to ensure that there is no microbial growth and reduce scaling. Cleaning a humidifier is fairly simple and here are some general tips to keep your humidifier in working condition. Now, Let’s Get Started…
Cleaning the Water Reservoir:
1. Make sure that the power is switched off and that the device is unplugged to avoid any risk of electric shock.
2. Remove the water reservoir and empty the water.
3. Add a tablespoon of household bleach to the water reservoir and fill it with cool tap water.
4. Tighten the cap to the water tank, and turn the reservoir tank upside down several times to mix the solution. Let stand for 10 to 20 minutes.
5. Rinse the water reservoir (several times) with cool water. Wipe the outside of the tank with a mild solution, if needed.
Cleaning the base and filter cover:
6. Remove the filter(s), and wipe the outside filter cover with a damp cloth. Be careful not to get water on the motor. If the inside is dusty, wipe with a dry cloth.
NOTE: Check the user’s manual to see if the filter can be washed. If it can not be washed, replace it with a new filter. If the filter can be washed, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning.
7. Fill the base of the humidifier with a solution of half white vinegar and half water. Let soak for several minutes, and scrub with a brush or cloth.
8. Rise with cool tap water.
9. Reassemble the portable humidifier with a new (or newly cleaned) filter.
NOTE: Do not immerse the motor portion of the humidifier in water. Always clean the outside of the motor house carefully, to not damage the motor. Items cleaned with bleach should not be cleaned with ammonia-based cleaning products. This could result in the creating of dangerous vapors.
With the above tips and instructions, cleaning your humidifier should be easy. When you maintain it properly, it will last for many years.