Top 5 HVAC Summer Vacation Tips
At HVAC.com, our writers create solutions that put you in control of your HVAC system. Our product reviews and recommendations are researched and backed by real buyers and industry experts, not dictated by our partners.
As we get closer to summer, we begin to think about warm weather and vacations. While this is an exciting thought, we have to be ready to go on vacation. There are many things that have to be done before we leave, such as figuring out who will take care of the dog, arranging to have mail held, and packing for the trip. With all that has to be done before a trip, we often forget about our HVAC system. Luckily, we are here to give you a few tips for your HVAC system before you leave on vacation.
Five Tips To Prepare Your HVAC System For Summer Vacation
- Raise the Thermostat- While you are out of town, you will not need your system to keep the house at a comfortable temperature. Raising the temperature while you are out of town can save you a lot of money on your energy bill and repairs in the future. In general, it is a good idea to set your thermostat between 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit while you are away. If you have a programmable thermostat, you can program it to have your house at a comfortable temperature the day you return.
- Surge Protection- You never know when you might lose power at your home. If there is a power outage or power surge while you are out of town, your HVAC system could become damaged. Installing a surge protector for your system can help put your mind at ease with the knowledge that your system will not be damaged due to an electrical outage. If you are unsure if your system is protected, fill out theform on this page to speak to a local contractor from our nationwide network who can help you determine if you have the right protection for your system.
- Air Filter Maintenance- While you are away, your system will still be running. Since it will still be running, it is important that your air filter be as clean as possible before you leave for your trip. Having a clean filter will help prevent any malfunctions with your system while you are away. For more information on filters, read our article on Furnace Filters 101.
- Security- While many of us set up timers to turn lights on and off while we are away, we usually do not consider security measures with our HVAC system. Simply putting in sensor lights or an alarm on your system can prove to be a valuable level of protection. In addition, you could gate off or put some fencing around your system that is locked for more protection.
- Routine Maintenance- Before you leave for your trip, it is a good idea to have your HVAC technician come out and do an inspection of your system to see if there are any issues that need to be addressed. Among other things, the tech should check to make sure coils are clean, refrigerant levels are correct, the air filter is clean, electrical connections are tight, and the system is producing the right temperature drop across the evaporator coil. We recommend that you schedule air conditioner maintenance if you are going to be out of town. Even if you will only be gone for a couple of days, having your technician come out and check your system could save you on repairs later. If you do not have a technician that you trust, fill out the form and let us help you find one!
As you can see, there are a few important ways to keep your HVAC system running at its most efficient while you are out of town. Your vacation should be a time of relaxation, not worries. By following these simple tips, you will be able relax on your vacation, knowing that your air conditioning system will be in good shape when you return. Let us help you find a trusted contractor from the HVAC.com contractor networkto make sure your HVAC system is ready to go while you are away!