Emergency HVAC repair in Dallas
At HVAC.com, our writers create solutions that put you in control of your HVAC system. Our product reviews and recommendations are researched and backed by real buyers and industry experts, not dictated by our partners.
The need for emergency HVAC repair in Dallas is not exactly how you want to spend a sweltering summer day. It’s important to understand if your AC problem qualifies as an emergency, so we offer a few guidelines.
Find an emergency HVAC repair person
What constitutes an HVAC repair emergency?
Sure, it’s uncomfortable when your heater or air conditioner stops working. But is it an emergency? We consider the following to be true HVAC repair emergencies.
- You have a family member whose health may be in danger from extreme temperatures, such as an infant or someone who’s elderly or disabled.
- You have pets in your home who can’t take the heat or cold. For example, bearded dragons can’t live in temps below 70℉, and chinchillas can’t live in temps above 82℉.
- You have a home-based business with equipment or materials that will ruin in extreme temperatures. This can include things from computer servers to artisan chocolates.
- There’s a strong gas, burning, or chemical smell coming from your HVAC system or vents.
- Water or other fluids are leaking from your system, causing potential damage to your home.
- The temperature inside your home is above 95℉ or below 50℉.
How to find an emergency HVAC repair company
Often, you’re not the only one in your Dallas neighborhood having an HVAC repair emergency. They tend to happen when the weather is at its most extreme and systems are taxed.
It can be difficult to find an HVAC repair technician to fix your system in these situations. You may be tempted to hire the first one you find with emergency availability. Before you have someone come out to your home, check a few things first.
Questions to ask an HVAC repair company in an emergency
- How soon can you complete the job? They may be able to come out and give you a quote quickly. But when can their techs actually schedule the work?
- Do you specialize in a certain brand? HVAC repair companies usually have affiliations with HVAC brands like Carrier or Trane. Try to find a company that’s familiar with your system’s brand. They’ll have the expertise you need. Plus, they’re more likely to have specific parts on hand if you need a replacement.
- Do you have a Texas Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Contractors License? This certification is required to do HVAC repair in Dallas. It ensures the technician is trained, insured, and qualified to complete HVAC repair work.
- Can I have a written quote? Always request a written quote before any serviceperson works on your property. This way, you’re both on the same page regarding the scope and pricing of the project.
Though it’s generally important to ask for and check references, you may not have time to do that in an emergency. So, scan online reviews for red flags before choosing which HVAC repair companies to call.
Are 24×7 HVAC repair companies legit?
Many HVAC repair companies advertise 24×7 emergency services. Some of them may come out in the middle of the night if you need them. But before you agree to this, inquire about after-hours fees. You may incur an added cost for service at off-hours.
Alternatively, some HVAC repair companies may just have a phone answering service working 24×7. They’ll simply take a message if you call after hours. Someone with the HVAC repair business will call you back in the morning to schedule service.
Either way, if you’re experiencing a true HVAC repair emergency, it’s good to reach out to a technician as soon as possible.
Quick fixes to get you through an HVAC repair emergency
Try these tips to keep you comfortable while waiting for your HVAC repair technician to arrive.
When it’s too hot
- Stay hydrated. Drink water or sports beverages.
- Don’t exert yourself. Rest as much as possible to avoid heat exhaustion.
- If you still have electricity, run a fan. Check out these hacks for DIY AC with objects you may already have at home.
- Consider purchasing an inexpensive window AC if you have the financial means. You can at least keep one room cool for sleeping until your HVAC repair happens.
- Keep your window coverings closed and your lights off.
- Eat foods that don’t require turning the oven on. It heats up your house.
- Fill your tub with cool water and soak for a while.
- Visit a local cooling station in Dallas when heat advisories are in effect.
When it’s too cold
- Dress in layers and stay warm under blankets. Electric blankets are especially helpful.
- If you have electricity, run a space heater. Or use alternative heat sources like a fireplace or woodstove.
- Isolate your family to one room and focus on capturing heat there. Check out this video for other tips on keeping warm.
- Insulate your home by keeping the curtains drawn. Consider using extra blankets or towels to cover windows and black drafts from external doors if you don’t have curtains.
- Use hot water to keep warm – make hot beverages or fill containers and use them as portable heat sources.
- Visit a warming station in Dallas if the roads are safe.
Need help finding an emergency HVAC repair person in Dallas? We’ve got you covered. Click below to connect with one of our vetted local experts.
Find emergency AC repair in Dallas