Fall HVAC Maintenance Checklist
In the fall, homeowners are busy preparing their property for the winter. From the extra task of raking leaves to sealing cracks and applying weather stripping to keep the cold out, there are many tasks on your to-do list. One more to add to your list this time of year is HVAC maintenance! Below are crucial steps that you should take to properly care for your heating system this season. This will not only keep your system in good shape, but it will help save you money in the long run!
What You Can Do Yourself
DIY Outdoor System Care
- Clear vegetation and debris away from your exterior heat pump unit. This will ensure adequate airflow and help to prevent damage to the unit.
- Shut down your air conditioner for the winter. Inspect it for damage, and protect it with a cover if you choose. Turn off the outdoor switch to prevent your air conditioner from being turned on accidentally.
DIY Indoor System Care
- Make sure any combustible products are stored away from your heating system.
- Inspect your air filter and replace it if needed. A clean air filter will work to reduce indoor contaminants throughout the winter season, as well as facilitate proper airflow into your home.
- Make sure your registers are clear of obstruction. Move heavy furniture and other items which may be blocking registers, preventing heating from reaching your living spaces and potentially straining your system.
- Change the water panel of your home’s humidifier. Doing so will help your humidifier function at its best throughout winter to alleviate dry air problems and ensure your home maintains proper humidity levels.
- Replace the batteries in your carbon monoxide detector. This should be done annually to protect your family from undetected carbon monoxide exposure.
What You Should Leave to the professionals
There are some tasks best left to the professionals. Heating systems are composed of sensitive equipment which requires maintenance to improve performance and efficiency. This fall, make it a priority to schedule professional fall HVAC maintenance. A trusted HVAC contractor will provide essential cleaning, care, and inspection to ensure your heating system can handle the important job of keeping your home comfortable through the cold months.
Have a question about fall HVAC maintenance? Leave a comment below for advice from our experts.