How Much Does Furnace Repair Cost?
A failing furnace is a stressor homeowners hope they won’t have to face this winter. If it does happen to you, the cost of furnace repairs will vary depending on what is wrong with your system. Here’s more information on what you can expect to pay if your furnace malfunctions.
Furnace Repair Cost
The average cost homeowners face for furnace repair is about $250. In most cases, homeowners spend between $130 and $400 to repair their furnace. Ultimately, furnace repair cost can range from $100 to $1,000 depending on the issue with the furnace.
Furnace Cost Calculator
Want to know how much a new furnace should cost? Try our cost calculator to get free local price estimates for the top brands.
How Much Does HVAC Replacement Cost?
Average Cost: $3,250 – $12,586
Like your home and needs, your HVAC project cost will be unique. Use the calculator to better estimate your investment.
*Estimate is based on current data and does not represent a guaranteed price. For accurate pricing contact a local HVAC dealer.
Furnace Repair Cost Factors
There are a number of factors to take into account when estimating the cost of a furnace repair.
- Warranty – If you have a furnace that is still under warranty then you may have the cost of parts covered. When your furnace is no longer under warranty, the costs will depend on the parts you need replaced. You can find the average costs of common replacement parts below.
- Service – Typically, you should expect to pay for service visit and labor of the contractors.
- Age, Size and Condition – How old your furnace is, how large it is and how it is running will all factor into the costs you face for repairs.
Service Fees for Furnace Repair
Furnace repair contractors typically charge a fee for a heating repair visit. This covers the cost of the furnace inspection and diagnostics to accurately identify the problem or problems your furnace faces. Furnace repair service fees vary between contractors, but costs typically range from $50 to $100. Many times, a furnace can be repaired in one visit, but if components need to be ordered, it may take some time to get your heating system back up and running.
If your furnace breaks down overnight, on the weekend, or during the holidays, expect to pay a higher service fee for emergency furnace repairs.
Common Furnace Repair Costs
Furnace repair contractors face all sorts of heating issues on the job, but there are some repairs that pop up more often than others. Here are the average costs of common furnace repair issues:
- Blower motor repair: $150
- Bower motor replacement: $450
- Ignitor replacement: $300 – $400
- Thermostat replacement: $50 – $200+ depending on the model you choose
- Flame sensor repair or replacement: $80 – $250
- Heat exchanger repair: $100 for simple repairs
- Heat exchanger replacement: $500 – $1,200
- Circuit board or pressure sensor repair or replacement: $40 – $350
- Gas valve or smart valve replacement: $150 – $750
- Draft inducer replacement: $150 – $450
Avoiding Furnace Repairs
Your best defense to avoid furnace repairs and their expense is preventative maintenance. Furnace maintenance should be performed annually to improve system performance, increase energy efficiency, and prevent breakdowns while extending the service life of your unit. Furnace maintenance costs vary from one contractor to the next, and many HVAC companies offer specials for preventative maintenance plans to keep homeowners current with their heating maintenance needs. Expect to pay around $100 for a preventative maintenance tune-up.